I'm Here in Missouri!!!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hellooo, I'm sorry its been so long since I've written anything. I want to keep this blog going because I know that it will be a blessing to read later on for me. I hope that some of these posts have been a blessing or interesting to read for ya'll.

Well, as I was saying, I am currently in Missouri for a preachers conference. It has been a great blessing to be here. It is great to see guys who are on fire for the Word of God as my pastor is. There are probably about 50-60 Pastors here. It is like a family reunion getting to see all the Pastors and other men I have met over the years. I've been rooming with Jared and believe it or not he has been a blessing to me as well :) Jared is a great friend. On Monday Jared on I got to preach at each other almost all afternoon, it was a great spiritual afternoon and got me excited for the rest of this week.

Backing up a day, on Sunday I was able to get a short message together which turned out to be for the rest of the guys on the trip. We were hoping to preach to some other guys at the rest stop, but it didn't work out. We did pass out some CD's and tracks though and I got to talk to one guy at the rest stop whose name was Wally, he was taking a smoke stop and was riding with some others on a trip from Gettysburg back to Ohio. After talking for a little while he seemed to be interested in reading the track and later on I gave him a CD which maybe he listned to with his group on the rest of trip back. Okay, back to the message...I wrote up a little story which I thought was kinda funny, it was a good illustration for my text James 1:23

Feel free to read it:

In the company of Jobs Incorporated there was a young man who worked there who became quite well-known. Jon was not well-known because of his status in the company or of the positive attributes he had shown during his time working there. But rather Jon was known because of his unbecoming feature of looking as if he had just rolled out of bed that morning which was exactly the case. Jons hair would be greased over to one side of his head and the smell from not taking a shower permeated his office area. Those in the units around him would complain, “Jon, why didn’t you clean yourself up before coming to work.” Jon’s response was always the same, “Hey, I looked in the mirror…I know what I look like, what else do you want me to do.” The coworkers became very displeased with Jons new manners. Another way which Jon became well-known was his laziness in work. The work hours became a nap time for his day as he slept till the next business meeting which he would then quickly grab his papers and run to, take notes and put plans down on paper. The plans though would never get done and the notes which he had taken so diligently laid negelected on his cluttered office desk. One particular day became a turning point in Jons life.
Monday was going past as normal and without notice Jons boss stepped through the office and began handing bonuses to each of Jons co-works. Jon, hearing the commotion eagerly sat up to receive his, but was met with a cold stare from the boss who looked deep into Jons eyes and said to him. “Jon, you are fired”. Jon was startled, and quickly spoke up. “But Sir, I have attended all of your meetings, I have notes to prove it. I have plan after plan of how to get this company grown beyond what you can believe!”. “That may be true” the boss replied, “but you have not worked on your plans at all. Hearing what I say and creating plans on what I have said are excellent, but if you do nothing with it then it is all a waste of time.”

The story of Jon may sound like a funny story because we know that people in their right mind would not act like this guy did. But, manytimes we act this way in our spiritual life. People around us tell us to get a grip and obey the Word of God. But, we look at the Word of God and say, “Hey, I read the Bible, what else do you expect me to do.” Some of us go to church all the time and take notes and make preparation of how to live a spiritual life. The problem is that what we know, but what we do. My text from the scripture is James 1:22-23 it says, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.”

ETC...there is more, but I don't have everything written out...

Well, that is the end of my long post for tonight, I need to get to bed, because recently I have been having headaches which I usually don't have very often :) If you think about me, that would be great if you could pray for my head not to hurt, in addition to my learning more from these great preachers. :) I would appreciate that.

Be Doers of the Word Everyone!
Benjamin

1 Responses to I'm Here in Missouri!!!

  1. Rachel Says:
  2. Hi Ben! I saw your blog on Facebook and thought I'd check it out. What a blessing it is!! I'd like to link to it from my blogs if that's okay. Thanks for posting all these great entries! :)